Various talent development schemes are being implemented broadly under seven categories. They are Centre of Excellence, Specialized Academies, Sports Hostels, Joint Sports Development Centres in Colleges, Talent Development Centres, Special Development Centres, Coaching Centres and Champions Development Scheme.
Joint Sports Development Centre
In order to develop talent among sportspersons in colleges and to encourage them to achieve laurels at national and international level, Joint Sports Development Centres in colleges are run by utilizing the infrastructure facilities available in the colleges for various disciplines in different districts. 29 colleges have benefited under this programme and 185 players have been awarded scholarships worth Rs 10.71 lakhs in 2011-12. During 2012-13, 219 sportspersons from 23 colleges are to be benefitted
Talent Development Centre
SDAT has established 6 Talent Development centres in Hockey, Football, Rowing, Table Tennis disciplines in co-ordination with organizations where playfield facilities are available. These Talent Development Centres enable the sportspersons to be trained in the particular discipline.
Special Development Centres
- A Special Development Centre for weightlifting has been established at Sathuvachari near Vellore. 30 men and 12 women sportspersons are getting trained here.
- A sum of Rs.3 lakhs is allotted for this purpose per year.
- A Special Development Centre for the promotion of hockey has been set up at Tirunelveli which has a tradition of producing hockey players. 30 players are being trained at the centre using synthetic hockey turf at Anna Stadium, Palayamkottai.
- A Special Development Centre for the promotion of basketball has been set up at Thanjavur. 25 players are being trained at the Centre.
- A Special Development Centre for tennis was established in Chennai in which 10 boys and girls each from Government and corporation schools are given training. Similar Centres have been established in Kancheepuram, Tiruvannamalai, Cuddalore, Madurai, Tirunelveli and Salem benefiting 80 children.
- Besides talents from traditional acrobats and fishermen are identified and provided training in gymnastics at Karattupalayam (20 children), Erode District and swimming at Nagapattinam (10 children) respectively, to develop them into champions in these fields.